Building & surroundings

Hotel San Miguel Separator Image

Building

Hotel San Miguel Separator dark Image

Located just 200 meters from the Cathedral, next to the church of San Miguel dos Agros, which gives its name to the square and in front of the church of the monastery of San Martín Pinario, is the gastronomic hotel San Miguel.

The site where it is located is in the eastern sector of the historic city, in the upper part of it, inside the old fortified enclosure promoted by Bishop Cresconio in the middle of the eleventh century.

It is bordered on the east by the so-called "Gothic House", current headquarters of the archives and library of the Museum of Pilgrimages, with access through San Miguel Street, forming both in the past, the same property that was communicated through an arch Gothic that is on the first floor.

It is known that during the civil war it was destined to barracks of the Civil Guard, time in which a great explosion occurred that seriously affected the building, which in 1940 had a ruinous state.

The construction of its current five plants responds fundamentally to the project of the architect José Mª Banet of 1940 for residence and clinic of the illustrious doctor-dermatologist Manuel Pereiro Cuesta from Compostela. Rectangular plan, one of the main characteristics that make it unique are its galleries and viewpoints typically from Compostela.

In 2010, in its current renovation, the value of noble materials has been combined with the modernity of new construction techniques. In the lobby of the Hotel has recovered a beautiful pavement of hydraulic tile, existing in the office of Manuel Pereiro’s clinic, which passed, for three generations, more than one hundred thousand patients from Galicia and other more distant places looking for miraculous healing.

The building also has an interior garden that has been restored following the ornamental guidelines of the Feng Shui movement.

Surroundings

Hotel San Miguel Separator dark Image

San Miguel dos Agros Church of the XVIII century. The facade is due to Melchor de Prado Mariño and follows the traditional classicist scheme (very common in the monumental area of Compostela), with four grooved pilasters supporting an entablature, framing the façade presided over by a large oculus, on which rises the triangular pediment and two small side towers as steeples.

San Martín Pinario Church completed in 1652, is the work of Mateo López and González de Araújo and it opens onto the square that bears the name of the monastery, which lowers her face.

The plan of the church has a single nave covered with a barrel vault with lacunar false. Six side-chapels open onto the nave and communicate with each other and have the same kind of dome as the nave. The crossing is illuminated by a dome in half. The choir stalls, Baroque, is the work of Matthew de Prado and the three largest altar pieces, along with the Relief Chapel of the same temple, are the work of Fernando de Casas Novoa, creating here one of the most exquisite Baroque nationally and internationally.

Currently, this building has enabled part as a museum of religious art, which is accessed through the door of the church of St. Martin, and is distinguished as one of the best in the community. You can visit also the temple itself, the statio (sacristy), the sacristy, the former printing, the pharmacy, the chapel of the relics (theca) or the Renaissance choir of the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela, and various collections of gold, ivory or liturgical vestments.

On the outside, the church facade, which is accessed via an incredibly beautiful Baroque staircase, is divided into three vertical bodies, corresponding to the interior divisions of the temple, the only richly decorated portions of the outer walls.The facade is covered by a number of carvings of saints, and is crowned by the scene of San Martiño.